How to Start a Professional Organizing Business
Today I’m super excited to give you some amazing info on growing your professional organizing business. I’m going to be focusing on 5 crucial things to think about before diving into growing, scaling, and making your business profitable!
I already know you’re great at keeping a tidy home and you’re probably seen as the “go-to” girl for organizing the homes of friends and family members too, right? Maybe you love pinning amazing home organization images on Pinterest or collecting every issue of Real Simple magazine. That’s all fine and great, but my goal is to MONETIZE your passion for organizing so that you can turn your hobby into a money-making side hustle or business!
Maybe you started an Instagram and you’re posting photos of your own home and following all the super popular home organizing brands. Or maybe you’re participating in Facebook groups for newbie organizers and going through the motions of “trying” to start a business without real passion and FIRE behind your actions.
I am going to share with you the 5 most important things to get CLEAR ON when starting your business to ensure your venture is successful, abundant, and prosperous and HOW you are going to accomplish that! but before we get into all the good stuff, let me check in with you really quickly, and just see where you’re at.
Does this sound like you?
You know you want to help people, but you aren’t sure where to start?
You know that having an extra source of income would be nice, but you’re feeling like you don’t DESERVE to get paid for something you’re NATURALLY good at?
You want everything to be perfect before putting it out there, so you’re doing NOTHING in analysis paralysis mode
You’re scared that people will judge you for diving into entrepreneurship, for being different, for going out on a limb, maybe worried what friends or family will think of you if you take the leap
You’re worried you don’t have enough “skills” to do this as a profession
You are daydreaming about using your natural skills and talents… but wake up every day to be a slave for someone else’s wallet
Your friends and family are commending you on your talents, but you aren’t sure how to monetize them
Have you ever thought any of those thoughts?
I am here to tell you that all these experiences are just SYMPTOMS of your bigger problem: You think your problem is that you just don’t “have what it takes”, or that business is “saturated” or “you can never make money doing what you love” YET, all around you, other women are creating BOOMING professional organizing businesses.
IF any of that sounds like you, then I have good news, you are about to learn how to solve the REAL problem, and effortlessly escape those SYMPTOMS— that’s right, all of that is just a side effect of a bigger problem….The real problem is that you are doubting yourself, your worth, and your capability to launch something more than just a hobby or passion project. And it’s only because you haven’t dug deep into these points…
There are FIVE secrets I’ve got for you when you’re ready to build a profitable professional organizing business. And we are going to talk about those in just a second…
For now, just understand this….Once you consider these things, once you really reflect on them….Your life is going to change- quickly. The way you view work will be drastically different. You won’t be a slave to anyone else's dream..
IMAGINE Having hours of free time each day to run errands, move your body, and actually take care of yourself and the people you love
IMAGINE Running a profitable business where you’re actually earning enough money to replace your current income, and start paying off debt or bulking up your savings.
IMAGINE Creating recurring income and payment plans so you’re not starting at $0 every single month, and waking up to money in your PayPal account.
IMAGINE Stepping up, and sharing your talents, passions, and true self to people who NEED what you’re offering.
IMAGINE Having people line up to work with you, to buy your products, and share your content!
IMAGINE Feeling energized and aligned every day because you are doing what you love, impacting others, and generously sharing your time, money, and talents
AND FINALLY, IMAGINE having financial freedom and abundance in your life every. single. day.
I am here to tell you that owning a successful organizing business is totally possible!
I’ve done it and I am here to help you do it too! Side hustles not only provide extra income, but they also allow you to see the "light at the end of the tunnel" if you currently find yourself in a job that you HATE. I'm ready to give you ALL the ins and outs of the organizing industry so that you can build a side hustle BEFORE leaving your corporate salary.
1) So first up is FOUNDATIONS: You definitely need to figure out your niche first! Who is your ideal client? Create an avatar for them so you know how to speak to them and how to market to them. There are so many different routes you can go in the professional organizing business! It’s exciting but can also be a bit overwhelming when you’re just starting out. It’s important to get clear on if you want to help aging seniors, downsizing baby boomers, busy moms, wealthy divorcees, you name it, there’s a niche for it…. I’ve found that it helps if you serve people just like you! Your ideal client is a former version of you- so if you were a scatterbrained-frazzled mom with a toddler or two running around, chances are that’s who you can speak to naturally as a client. Another example is that I’ve never had kids and don’t particularly want to have children in this lifetime, so when I was a professional organizer for 7 years, I served busy entrepreneurs and executives! Calling out your demographic by name and creating your ideal client avatar is the FIRST step in laying the foundation for your new biz!
Take a moment to write out her name, her interests, her hobbies, her income, her family, her career, anything and everything you want in an ideal client! Think of this as playing Barbie as a little girl- you get to use your imagination and create your IDEAL client to work with!
2) Next up is getting clear on where you’re going and how to get there! It’s CRUCIAL to get clear on your goals. Grab your pen and paper or your favorite digital notes app and write out THREE goals you want to achieve in your business. I love to implement SMART goal setting-SMART goals are defined as Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely! Once you have your goals written down, then I want you to summarize the THREE next steps you could take to make each of those goals happen. How can you FOCUS and get rid of distractions when you’re working toward your goals? Identify WHO you can ask for support in acting as an accountability partner as you work to achieve these goals. Goal setting is super important when you are first starting out, so that you can keep your eye on the prize!
So are you with me? Is this making sense? I know it can be a lot at first, but I’m here to guide you through this process!
3) Now we’ll talk about eliminating money-wasting activities and costs- I definitely recommend validating your market in your own area to see if professional organizing is a viable service. Check out your competition by typing in “professional organizer and your city name into good ole Google. Some larger cities might have 200+ organizers, and others in small-town America might have one or two. I’ve honestly never seen a city with ZERO organizers as this is definitely a needed service here in the states! Next, I want you to make a list of friends and family that you could do some free organizing sessions for. Stick to 2 hours- call it a Friends and Family Roadshow (or another kitschy name) and start telling them about it on Facebook, Instagram, or just sending out some texts or phone calls. Try to find at least 5 people to give those free 2 hour sessions away. This will not only help you to see if you actually enjoy the organizing process, but it will also get you into the groove of organizing someone ELSES items, and not just your own! A lot of times organizers come to me and ask if they should join NAPO, get certified. I don’t recommend wasting ANY money on those things, especially as you’re just starting out. The most important thing at this point is to validate your market and start getting feedback on your services!
4) Now for tip number FOUR! Now we are getting into what you OUGHT to be doing, now that we eliminated the time wasters. Here you’ll learn how to add value CONSISTENTLY to your audience because I KNOW you have ideal clients out there that are just PRAYING for someone like you to come along and change their lives. In order to be a successful entrepreneur, you’ve GOT to tackle mindset issues, start living in abundance, and start setting your vision! I’m talking Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn posts DAILY. Blog posts WEEKLY. Email newsletters MONTHLY. And podcast interviews or other public appearances QUARTERLY!
When you’re showing up consistently with your website, social media, email marketing, business cards, flyers, and promos your ideal clients have a chance to see you, know you, like you, and trust you! After all, sometimes as professional organizers, we end up going into the deep dark depths of nightstands and underwear drawers. How can anyone trust you to come into their home and see their most private things if they don’t trust you?! I have found that you’ve got to show up consistently in your marketing and give away tons of great organizing advice to be successful in this business.
So just to recap, we’ve gone through 4 of the 5 secrets you MUST KNOW for growing your professional organizing biz:
Creating a ROCK SOLID foundation for your professional organizing business
getting clear on where you’re going and how to get there
taking the right actions and eliminate money-wasting activities as you’re just starting out
adding value CONSISTENTLY to your audience because I KNOW you have ideal clients out there that are just PRAYING for someone like you to come along and change their lives- they just need to find and trust you, right?!
5) Now on to secret number FIVE! If you’re feeling a lil' overwhelmed at this point, I totally understand. I was there too! And you know what I did? I TOOK ACTION! I needed someone to help me design a roadmap for the next steps in building a kickass business.
I DID SOMETHING SCARY.
I was feeling stuck in my life after having small snippet visions of my greatness, but not having a clue how I would break through the heavy ceiling I had created for myself. I was feeling stuck in my life churning around in my little hamster wheel of insanity. AND THEN I DECIDED TO LEVEL UP. I hired my very first coach. Sure, I was an athlete my whole life and had gymnastics coaches, soccer coaches, softball coaches, CrossFit coaches, personal trainers, and a bazillion therapists. But what the hell was a "NLP certified business coach? "Well... for one thing, she charged $2,000 per month to work with her. She lived across the country. She only chatted with me through text on Facebook lives (she would be on video while I would type out my questions to her). We never even talked on the phone! BUT I INVESTED ANYWAY.
I felt crazy. Like the only thing that I'd ever spent $6,000 on was a CAR. I was in my 20s. Who the hell did I think I was dropping half my savings on some random person that I would never meet? But it felt so aligned in my soul. Every cell in my body knew that she was the coach for me. I had searched a random Facebook group with the term "coach" and her name was recommended there. I clicked on her website, watched a webinar, scheduled a call with someone on her team, and the next day I transferred $6,000 from my PayPal account to her bank account. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!" my ego said. But again, I felt this peaceful, calm, nudging voice from my soul that this was the right path. That was the very first time I let my soul win. I pushed the ego to the curb and did something in ALIGNMENT WITH MY SOUL. Talk about an unfamiliar experience!
Today, my business and life have up-leveled and upgraded in SO many amazing, awesome, soulful ways. If I hadn't invested A BIG SCARY AMOUNT in her program, I wouldn't have skin in the game. I wouldn't have shown up for myself. It would just be another "free challenge" or "ebook" or "spiritual journaling prompt" that I'd opt in to and never use. ... you know, the ones that collect dust in your email inbox (or god forbid, printed out paper clutter). But I invested $6,000. I took the scary leap. And guess what? I hit every single goal I set out to hit that year in both my business and personal life. INVEST IN YOURSELF. I'm telling you, this shit works. I was a non-believer for so long, seeing "life coach this" and "mentor" that all over the place.
The proof is in the pudding- success is there for you, you just have to reach out and grab it.
A mentor can specifically help you move through the overwhelm or fear as a professional organizer by setting you up with your own customized roadmap to success! Eyes and ears on your business and an expert point of view will take you FAR in this industry!
I know it can all be a little overwhelming at first, but that’s totally the excitement of starting a new business! Today I promised to show you the 5 secrets you MUST KNOW for growing your professional organizing business. Like I mentioned before, you can continue daydreaming at your office, and scrambling home for too little time with your family or friends, hustling on your spare time for a company that doesn’t feel authentic to you, watching other women uplevel and make bank while you are wondering how you will get by or last in your corporate role for much longer.
If you are ready to level up your impact & income and get PAID for doing what you love- then I have something for you!
I am ready to watch you transform and show you how you can apply these principles to your life TODAY. Whatever your biggest frustrations are, I’ve seen it and I know how to overcome it. If you’d like to join my private coaching program then head over to my Coaching Page to grab a spot on my calendar.
In your breakthrough call, we’ll get clear on:
Where your mindset currently is and where we can take it to bust through your limiting beliefs about building a PROFITABLE business
We’ll also get clear on What’s NOT working for you, what you’ve already tried, and what this business is COSTING you while it’s not making a profit
And lastly, during our time together we’ll go over Your time management strategy and how we can improve it so you’re taking IMPACTFUL action and not just going through the motions of what you “think” you should be doing.
These calls are for those who are ready to turn their passion projects into an actual business NOT just a hobby-- because hobbies cost money, and businesses PAY the bills. These calls are NOT for those looking for a get-rich-quick scheme or those who are unwilling to put in the work to get the results that they desire! As I mentioned, this is only for those that are ready for new levels of success and are ready to FINALLY invest in their passion project as a business.
So here is why I’m doing this-- I love giving back and helping GO GETTERS pursue their passions and share their talents with the world. And I know how POWERFUL personalized support can be. I FIRMLY believe that each of us has important gifts to share. All you need is a little extra support to unleash your AMAZING professional organizing business!
I’ve recently had the honor and privilege of working with TWENTY amazing, soulful women in my program and I’m hoping to TRIPLE that number this year! These ladies have become a part of my community and I consider each and every one of them to be a friend and sister. That’s my goal for you too- doing what you love, working with who you love, and attracting your ideal clients. I know you took a lot of notes today and I hope you learned A TON!
Grab your spot on my calendar! Book here.